What's Your Soundrack?

I really love being able to sing along with the newest release from Pierce The Veil. Not many moms really appreciate all the work that these guys put into their music. Death Cab For Cutie, Green Day, and of course (with a sigh) My Chemical Romance are amazing groups too. My ringtone hasn't changed in 5 years, it's "I Gotta Feeling" from the Black Eyed Peas... it just seems right to have a cheery, positive song when the cell phone rings.

I bring up music because my life has been based heavily in it. Growing up, the "Heart of Rock and Roll was still beating" and there wasn't a time, when given the opportunity, that music wasn't playing, and I, singing along. I love all genres, for the most part, and go from hip hop, death metal, pop, and dub stepped stuff on a dime. I really am amazed that there's still people who can find another way to skin the vinyl off the cover and remold it. I am a sucker for those artists who can represent what The Clash did for me when I first heard them. I don't slam dance anymore, as my doctor has suggested that my bone density might not be able to withstand the punishment at this juncture of my physical life.

Shaking what my momma gave me? No... my mom and dad taught me how to Stroll , jitterbug, and Mash Potato. Television gave me some amazing inspiration. A great show had these girls in not-so -appropriate outfits dancing on our TV once a week. "Solid Gold Dancers" is what they called them. I wanted to be one of them! After years of emulating these moves, I 'brought it' one night to a dance floor of a night club in Boston. Some cute guy asked me to dance, and then questioned if I worked as a 'professional dancer'.... that was my warning shot that I should probably tune down my 'Solid Gold' performance on the dance floor!

Besides my love for dancing, I sang. Some would say I do an OK job carrying a note, but me, I never got to where I thought I should be, for a myriad of reasons. The surgery on my vocal chords and removal of my toncils, all in one operating room visit at the age of 17 kinda put the ka-bosh on my confidence and abilities. I still sing, just not as well as I'd like.

I had received some voice training in college, and before that, my vocalizations were everything from State competition pieces, opera, and fronting a garage band that covered Pat Benatar, Quarterflash, and Joan Jett.

When I moved to Boston, my weekends entailed traversing the city and visiting different places, 'finding' places I wanted to return to. One of those places was this lovely little tourist trap called "Lily's Piano Bar and Grill", right in Quincy Market at Faneuil Hall . There was a baby grand piano and a handsome, Berkley music student playing away every weekend.  The glass enclosures that ran down either side of the building were noted, one as "North" the other as "South". I can't recall which side 'he' was on.. but you could always find him and the music by listening for the plinking of keys over the din of people.

I sang then, literally, for my supper. Even though I was gainfully employed, there was little in my budget for 'entertainment'. This gifted young man, his amazing musical ability, and the chance to sing in front of people without anyone laughing at me, was perfect. I'd be fed a bowl of chowder by staffers, make some tips, and some wonderful patrons would indulge me in adult beverages. Hour after hour during many beautiful Saturday afternoons were spent there, encouraging me to continue my love for music and singing.

Now days, my neighbors get to hear me singing in the shower if my bathroom window's open. They're most likely not impressed, as I skip from tune to tune, not recalling words, and sometimes, calling out just a few notes as my mind races form one song to the next. Music, to me, in many regards, is like playing a word association game. The difference for me is that when I sing certain chords, hit particular chorus lines, or maybe a stanza, my mind's soundtrack skips to the next song that I associate with that particular moment. God forbid I get on my Amy Lee kick... You're gonna hear all of the songs on the Evanescence "Fallen" album, some of them twice, then I'll finish it off with my stirring rendition of 'Call Me When You're Sober', hopefully to finish before the neighbors call about me!

Everything, from the rides on the school bus, cruising in my car, dancing around the house, celebrating with friends and family, it all has had some type of music associated with it. The songs might not be playing for all to hear, but in my mind's eye, the music is at full blast, like a bad 80's montage that's all good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment